I Have a Hold for Failure to Appear

I Have a Hold for Failure to appear

When you fail to pay a traffic ticket on its due date, the court will then issue an order to suspend to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to suspend your driver’s license or they may also choose to put an order to “hold for failure to appear” until you have settled your traffic ticket.

Getting a “hold” order on your driver’s license will cause any or both of these things:

  • The revocation of your driver’s license
  • You will not be able to renew your license

A court date is usually indicated at the bottom part of a traffic violation ticket.  This means that you need to make the necessary actions that is required of you at that set date.  If you however, fail to appear in court at that said date, the court will charge you with a Failure to Appear.

A lot of people usually end up failing to show up in court as they continue waiting for a notice from the Traffic Court requesting their appearance.  This however, does not happen always and so people usually end up missing their day in court.  If you do not want to encounter this, then you just need to take a look at the bottom of your traffic ticket.

If you fail to show up in court at the set date on your ticket, the court will communicate with the local DMV office and then the DMV office will put a “hold for failure to appear” on your driver’s license. This means that you will not be able to renew your driver’s license and it would also be suspended or revoked until after you have settled your requirements and fees at the Court.

It could be that you may not know that your license had been put on hold by the DMV and you still apply for a license renewal.  This can definitely be a very stressful process especially if you renew your car insurance first without knowing that your driver’s license had already been revoked or suspended.

It is important to know that once you have made your appearance in court and has placed a guilty pleading and you subsequently fail to pay the amount due or perform the required community service, you will receive a notice stating that your case is a “Matter Set for Compliance.” In this situation, it would be best to hire the services of a lawyer who can best represent your case in court.